Sunday, April 7, 2013

It's our FIVE year anniversary...


First piece The Pretty Peacock ever sold - very fitting!

Five years ago today - I officially created a company called "The Pretty Peacock".  I never thought of myself as an entrepreneur.  There are several adjectives that come to mind when I think of myself...but back in the day, entrepreneurial would not have been one of them. 

Now, I believe it is the only way I could truly be happy making a living.

The first piece I ever sold was the one pictured above. It was purchased just a week after it was listed by a person who was gifting it to a recent graduate.  My first sale was going to someone who was embarking on a new journey of their own.  Someone who will {sometimesneed to fight off what is practical, what is expected, what is mainstream...and follow her heart.  It could not have gone to a more perfect recipient.

In five years, there has been a ton of growth, both professionally and personally.  I have learned that things rarely come out as expected, but everything is a success in one form or another because 1) you likely learned something, 2) you know what DOESN'T work, and 3) no matter how tear-your-hair-out pissed you get, there is always another opportunity to do it another way.

When I started, I wished there was a "Answer All My Questions" book out there that I could just pop open and start attacking the list of steps in order to get where I wanted to go.  But now, I realize that making my own path, my own list of "rules", is clearly the only way to go.

I create my jewelry in much the same way: A lot of reckless abandon. Happy pursuits of chasing a whim.  Bringing to life pieces that I hope will bring tears, inspiration, reflection - pleasant emotion - in the midst of our chaotic world.

That's why I create what I do:  They are tangible pieces of happiness - not because of the metal it is made out of, or the gemstones that adorn it - but because the person who wears it gives it life. 

I am writing this post mostly as a note to myself to remember that I have been blessed to be doing what I love, that I work my butt off to make sure that my business keeps growing without sacrificing quality or artistic vision, and that I am so proud of where I am right at this very moment. 

It's not often that we give ourselves praise.  But, good gracious, we should. We should do it on a daily basis, maybe hourly if it's been one of those weeks. 

I am over-the-moon happy and proud to announce the Five Year Anniversary of 
The Pretty Peacock!






2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for taking that leap into the unknown and creating beautiful and meaningful jewelry :)

The Pretty Peacock said...

Thank you SO much, Jennifer - it's people like you that make me love what I do that much more!!! <3