Monday, September 26, 2011

Geocaching and our Latitude Longitude Collection

Geocaching has become all the rage, and for good reason!  Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunt.  You use GPS coordinates to locate treasures (geocaches) that are hidden all over the place - likely on your very street!  Once you find the geocache, you take a trinket, and leave a trinket and make a note in the log book so that the next hunters know you were there.  My kids (and my husband and me, too!!) LOVE to go geocaching.  It gets us outside, playing and working together towards a goal.  It also has introduced us to places we didn't know even existed right in our back yard!


      


When I launched our Latitude Longitude collection a couple of years ago (jewelry that has the coordinates of a special place of your choice), I was a little skeptical if this type of geekery would catch on. It's nice to know that so many people can appreciate the quirky awesomeness of jewelry with coordinates on it.

          

 The flagship piece was a ring I made for my husband for our 12th wedding anniversary.  I don't know about you, but it gets more and more difficult to find unique gifts that won't just end up collecting dust in the corner.  I put the coordinates of the dorm we met in way back when on the University of Washington campus on a hefty and wide-ish ring. I knew he would love it...because he's that kind of guy and when I gave it to him, he immediately busted out his cell phone to plug in the coordinates to figure out where the mystery place was going to be.  I'm going to pretend that he teared up a little when he realized it was our old dorm and was overcome with emotion at the immense thoughtfulness of his super awesome wife. :)


If you haven't yet, you really need to go out there and try geocaching!  There are some awesome apps for both the iphone and android that make it really easy to choose what types of caches you want to hunt and how far they are from you (and each other).  There's also a really great beginner's guide here.

And if while you are out there you decide to have your first kiss, decide to propose (or get proposed to), or just want to commemorate that special trip, look me up and we'll create something for you that you'll treasure forever.

No comments: