Monday, June 15, 2009

M.A.M.A Campaign...Midwifery Care Needs YOU!!


Growing up, I wasn't taught about midwives, never really knew what they did, or why. Even when I thought about having a baby, I didn't explore any other option other than what I knew: The Hospital.

Once I became pregnant, however, everything changed. How my little being was going to come into the world was of utmost importance. That is how I learned, and later experienced the complete awesomeness of midwifery care. You can read my birth story here. And you can see an awesome picture of me pregnant with my daughter at 30 some odd weeks, right here!! :)

There is a ton of talk in D.C. regarding health care: the costs associated being the primary concern and fodder for debate. If you don't know a great deal about midwifery care, such as:

~ It's far more cost effective than a hospital birth
~ It's just as safe as a hospital birth
~ Midwifery care pre and post-natally cannot be matched by a hospital

I had two children - BOTH who were nearly 10 lbs. I did not tear. I was home and completely fit to go within hours of delivering. My midwives visited me at home after my births. They knew me on the phone from the sound of my voice!! What OB/GYN do you know that can do that???!

Here are some resources to educate yourself - and you SHOULD educate yourself - whether you are expecting now, will be one day, or are a parent already, even if you never planning on having children...educate yourself!!

Benefits of Choosing a Midwife
Benefits of a Midwife Assisted Birth
Personal Birth Stories
Study of how Home Births are as safe as Hospital Births
Midwives and Hospital Births

NOW, on to the M.A.M.A Campaign:

Campaign Mission Statement

The mission of the M.A.M.A. Campaign is to increase women’s access to midwives and to quality, affordable maternity care consistent with the Midwives Model of Care© by securing federal recognition of Certified Professional Midwives.

"The M.A.M.A. campaign is a historic coalition of the key midwifery and consumer organizations in the U.S. unified behind the goal of achieving federal recognition of Certified Professional Midwives. Our specific goal in the next weeks is inserting an amendment into the health care bills that are moving through congress right now to mandate Medicaid coverage for CPM services on the federal level. "
(excerpt from an email written by Suzy Meyers, who is the Seattle Midwifery School Midwifery Education Chair and on the Board of Directors, National Association of Certified Professional Midwives.)

Check out the Campaign's website.

Learn, grow, and SUPPORT this incredible effort.


*** I birthed both of my children at the Puget Sound Birth Center. If you are in the Seattle area and looking for healthful birthing options...check them out!! ***


Feed Shark

No comments: