Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Warmth of Gold...


I have never been much of a gold-wearer - which is pretty shocking considering that gold is the staple metal of all Indian jewelry! I have always just been drawn to silver, much to the dismay of my mother, but as I grow older, I am falling more in love with gold.

I have finally started to carry gold jewelry in my Etsy shop. I have had so many requests and begrudged buyers who claim that no one carries personalized gold jewelry. So, I worked on finding quality gold-fill sheet, which is far more durable than gold-plate and is actually heat bonded onto to a core metal. Gold fill is higher in quality than gold plate and is far more affordable than solid gold. I started cutting my own disks and purchasing other gold fill blanks and charms and of course pretty chains to match. And then I went to work designing gold, personalized pieces.

Much to my shock, I instantly was drawn to the warmth of the color, the depth of the metal and the way it looked so stunning with Swarovski crystals - or even just with my hand stamped text oxidized onto it. I started making some jewelry for myself and now I am hooked. I mix it up with my silver pieces and it all looks great together.

There is a reason why gold has been the most coveted precious metal for centuries: it looks good on everyone, it is warm like soft candlelight, and it symbolizes luxury.

1 comment:

Amanda Conley said...

I adore gold! Great pieces!
Also, I wanted to let you know that I tagged you;) Pop over to my blog to find out about it!