Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Magic of Personalized Jewelry


I think that because I design and create jewelry, people expect me to be adorned with it from head to toe. However, aside from the occasional Indian gathering where I am dressed in colorful and fully blinged garb where covering yourself with sparkling jewels is a given, I am very modest when it comes to the day-to-day.

The jewelry that I create is not meant to match your outfit for the day. It is meant to be more of extension of yourself. Putting personalization on jewelry - whether it is your name or names of your loved ones, a date, a personal quip or quote - or even just a single word that is to be used as a reminder of how to live - makes if far, far beyond just a basic bauble.

Personalized jewelry allows you to wear something that is a tangible memory, or invokes an emotion within you. I love creating these types of pieces because I know they are treasured by the wearer.

The pieces of jewelry that I treasure for myself - aside from my wedding ring - is a simple disk that says "breathe" (because I need to remind myself to do that about 1000 times a day!), one of my "Love you to the Moon" pendants with my children's names, a simple bangle with a bit of a poem that my husband wrote for me when we were dating.

Words are magical things that can conjure up images from our past, jolt our attention to the present and help us dream about the future. I feel so blessed that I am able to immortalize words onto precious metals that can be worn for the world to see and are able to be passed down for generations to come.

1 comment:

Shirley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.