Thursday, August 28, 2008

~ FEATURE ~ Vanessa of Photos By Van














I love Etsy and all the incredible talent on it. I'm going to be featuring an artist that has either just started out or is well established - either way, they are fabulous, fresh, and FEATURED here!!! Show them some love!


Considering how digital our lives are, I looooovvvee the whole process of sending (and receiving!) a handwritten note or card - it makes me feel connected and intimately a part of someone's day when I know that they are receiving a message that I wrote with my hands, in my handwriting and not some pretty font I picked out on Word. Vanessa of Photos by Van combines her beautiful photography and the personal nature of cards together to create uniquely beautiful paper goods.



What’s your craft, how long have you been doing it and how did it start?
My craft is photography. I've always loved taking pictures but I would say I really starting taken photos to sell about a year ago.


What’s new for the upcoming holiday season in your shop?
I am trying to vary my shop with cards, mini cards and eventually prints. I am looking forward to the fall because I would love to capture the autumn colors in nature.


What’s your favorite item in your shop and why?

My favorite item is because I've taken a dandelion, which many consider a weed, and made it into something beautiful.


Do you think formal schooling in your craft helps or hinders?
I don't know, I've never gone to school for photography, I would think that you naturally have to have an "eye" for the craft before going to school.


How do you keep your creative energy?
I try thinking outside of the box. When I get bored with an idea or a subject I know it is time to try something new!


What are two of your favorite Etsy shops and why?
I have so many shops that are favorites but I especially love the jewelry ones that work with metals such as silver. It amazes me that someone can take a piece of metal and turn it into something wearable and beautiful.

What are three tips you would give to new Etsians?
Stay positive, have fun and learn to think "outside of the box".

No comments: