Tuesday, August 26, 2008

~ FEATURE~ Lauren from MayBeads

I love Etsy and all the incredible talent on it. Every week - maybe twice, I'm going to be featuring an artist that has either just started out or is well established - either way, they are fabulous, fresh, and FEATURED here!!! Show them some love!










I feel in love with this shop the moment I saw it! It has to be one of the most imaginative, colorful, creative, cutest shops on Etsy! I love every piece !!

Come meet Lauren of Maybeads on Etsy

What’s your craft, how long have you been doing it and how did it start?
I am a lampwork bead artist. I make glass beads by melting soft glass in a torch. I have been doing this since February, 2008, when I took a lampworking class. I had signed up for a jewelry class at a local craft shop and I really enjoyed it, but I wasn't crazy about the bead choices. I started looking online at beads and I soon discovered lampworking. I was mesmerized! I found a place to take a class and I have been lampworking ever since. It was my original intention to make bead sets to use in jewelry design, but somewhere along the way I found penguin tutorial and I never looked back! I make all sorts of "critter" beads, with a heavy emphasis on turtles and kitty cats. I also love making penguins, owls, wiener dogs and anything else that pops into my imagination. I do make some "regular" beads, but I always go back to the animals.












What’s new for the upcoming holiday season in your shop?

For the upcoming holiday season I plan to feature more gift-type items. I make fun stretchy necklace for girls with charms such as cupcakes, flowers and butterflies on them, and I'm busy stocking those now. Little girls really love these!

What’s your favorite item in your shop and why?
I'd have to say my favorite item is my stretchy cord necklaces. The picture shows a good variety of the beads I make.








Do you think formal schooling in your craft helps or hinders?

I think formal schooling in my craft helped me. It gave me a starting point, but from there I am self-taught, as many lampworkers are. It just takes a lot of time and practice, and when you love doing it, it becomes easier and vice versa.

How do you keep your creative energy?
I just love making beads, so it's easy to keep my creative energy going. My kids make suggestions for beads, and I also am inspired by other artists. I love challenging myself by trying new things.

What are two of your favorite Etsy shops and why?
TeriPersing -- I love her fat cat lampwork beads!
Raspberrykidz -- Very fun and cute kid art (plus, it's my sister's shop!).

What are three tips you would give to new Etsians?
1. Take good pictures! 2. Promote yourself in the forums, on chat and by listing often. 3. Be patient -- success takes a while.

2 comments:

UxCritter said...

Well I certainly got my daily SMILE from your featured etsy artist! That lil turtle made me smile so easily cause he's so bright and cheery and FUN!

The Pretty Peacock said...

Isn't this Etsian GREAT??! These tiny beads are so beautifully done!! Thanks for commenting!!